SERVE WITH PEACE COMMUNITY CENTER
Peace Community Center is looking to fill our 11 Member Service Leadership Team with individuals who are passionate about youth, education, and service.
Priority Deadline for applying to Peace Community Center’s 2019-2020 Service Team is July 15, 2019. Applications accepted on a rolling basis until filled.
WHO WE ARE
Peace Community Center is a community organization that believes education is an integral part of a strong community. We support and encourage Tacoma’s Hilltop neighborhood youth to cultivate academic and leadership talents so they can gain full access to educational opportunities and reach their full potential. The Center lives out its mission through educationally focused programs and by building relationships that support students to be successful from elementary school through their post-secondary graduation.
WHAT SERVICE MEMBERS DO
Service Team members support the academic and holistic growth of students 2nd-12th grade in Tacoma’s Hilltop neighborhood by working wit the Center’s educational programs. Members will:
- Develop a strong connection to community, both within the Center and the local Tacoma community
- Grow as individuals through increased self-awareness and commitment to social justice
- Gain skills to successfully work with students and lead as professionals in our community
POSITIONS AVAILABLE (Serving September 1, 2019 – July 15, 2020)
- AmeriCorps: McCarver Scholars Elementary, Program Support Members
- AmeriCorps: Hilltop Scholars Middle School, Academic Engagement Specialists
- AmeriCorps: Hilltop Scholars High School, Academic & Volunteer Engagement Specialist
- Vision & Call Intern: Shared role between Peace Lutheran Church & Peace Community Center
- All applicants must fill out the AmeriCorps Application found HERE and submit an additional questionnaire HERE
- If you know someone who would be a good fit for this type of experience, please fill out our nomination form found HERE
- If you are interested in learning more about Peace and our service opportunities, please fill out an interest form HERE
AmeriCorps members are full-time, stipend volunteer positions that serve at Peace Community Center for 10 1/2 months. Our team has 12 positions serving across our elementary, middle, and high school programs. Positions begin September 1 and members serve through July 15 of the following year.
At Peace Community Center, AmeriCorps members build relationships with students and their parents to help students reach their full potential. Members work directly with students, support after-school and summer programs, participate in data collection and program evaluation, and work with their team to support program planning and implementation.
Benefits include making a difference in your community; gaining experience with non-profit administration, education, program development and administration, business, and social work; and professional development and mentoring. Members serving in AmeriCorps also receive a monthly living stipend, an education award, education loan forbearance, health insurance, childcare assistance, and funds towards interest on education loans. Peace Community Center also offers low-cost housing to our members, however, space is limited!
ABOUT OUR VISION AND CALL FELLOWSHIP
Vision and Call Fellows positions are full-time, stipend volunteer positions that serve at Peace Community Center and Peace Lutheran Church for 10 1/2 months. Our team has positions serving in our elementary and high school programs. Positions will begin September 1, 2019 and members serve through July 15, 2020.
Fellows serve with children and youth, bridging programs of Peace Lutheran Church and Peace Community Center. They are called to mentor children and care for families through Peace Community Center; reach out and build disciples for Christ in the community and connect families of Peace Community Center and the Hilltop neighborhood with the life and ministry of Peace Lutheran Church.
Benefits include making a difference in your community; gaining experience with non-profit administration, education, program development and administration, business, and social work; faith and spiritual guidance and development; and professional development and mentoring. Members serving as Vision and Call Fellows also receive a monthly living stipend ($1,333) and a completion award of $2,000. Peace Community Center also offers low-cost housing to our members, however, space is limited!
The Vision & Call Fellow Application consists of two parts:
- Complete the online application found on our website and at tinyurl.com/VCapplication
- Send a Resume and one letter of recommendation to email@example.com
The Vision and Call Fellowship program is supported by the Murdock Charitable Trust. You can read more about the Trust and the program here.
If you would like to be added to our interest list, please fill out our online interest form.